These are countries nominally independent, however, a foreign military power exercises real power in the country.
- Indonesia - a revolutionary war of independence against the Dutch in 1945-49
- Algiers - a revolutionary war against France in 1954-1962
- Bangladesh - a war of independence from Britain in 1971
- Pakistan - an on-going war against Pakistani Taliban, TTP (in December 2014, 140 children were killed in a Pakistani army school)
- Tunisia - dominated by France, "Arab spring" started here in 2011
- Bahrain - strong protests against government in 2011, part of "the Arab spring"
- Morocco - part of the "Arab spring"
- Mali - a new anti-colonial rebellion since 2012, directed against the French